Fwd: GPON vs. GEPON

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 03:59:14 UTC 2016

On 8 January 2016 at 13:56, Josh Reynolds <josh at kyneticwifi.com> wrote:

> A 8-16 way split per gpon is more reasonable. I think the current cards are
> 4-10 gpon ports per, and 2 cards per E7-2. I know they have 2x10Gbps LAG
> working for uplink, can't remember if 4x10Gbps LAG works yet or not.

That is rubbish. We are using 128 optical splits and 64 users per OLT and a
mix of users buying either 100 or 1000 Mbit/s service. This just works. The
system is very far from being overloaded. We would put even more users on
the OLT if our vendor would allow this (they only support a max of 64 users
per OLT).

Remember the very first thing users do when you sell 1000 Mbit/s internet
is to run a speedtest. Our users do that too and they do get the expected
940-950 Mbit/s (=gigabit ethernet wire speed) speedtest result at all time
of day, also at peak usage.

Regards,

Baldur