GPON vs. GEPON

Josh Reynolds josh at kyneticwifi.com
Fri Jan 8 12:56:45 UTC 2016

It all depends on how it is designed as well.

Take a Calix E7-2. You could do a pretty high split per gpon port, I think
either 32 or 64 is the max for them, but you're really just shooting
yourself in the foot IMO if you're advertising and selling a lot of gig
service.

A 8-16 way split per gpon is more reasonable. I think the current cards are
4-10 gpon ports per, and 2 cards per E7-2. I know they have 2x10Gbps LAG
working for uplink, can't remember if 4x10Gbps LAG works yet or not.

Count in oversubscription rates for residential, and consider that most
people, despite what they say or think, will end up on 2.4GHz wireless in
the home due to 5GHz sucking more than a room away - that ends up being a
very scalable solution for residential service.

For SMB, they end up on a different split, or with SLA end up on an active
port on the chassis or on the Juniper access/transport switch.