GPON vs. GEPON

nanog-isp at mail.com nanog-isp at mail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:03:00 UTC 2016

> If you take out "bitrate, split ratio, cross vendor compatibility and purchase price differences" then what else would you like to compare or know?
  All the interesting bits obviously :)
  Anybody can read the bitrates, split ratios, compatibility and price of a spec sheet/quote. That however leaves out all the interesting operative aspects such as auxiliary network requirement, service turn up and software tool differences between the two standards.
  The hard facts only cover the CAPEX part of the TCO equation and the differences between GPON and GEPON are small. Controlling for any parameter roughly equal or if any different within a constant factor of less than two.
  I'm more interested in the OPEX part, to find out if there are any (significant) differences between the two.

I welcome all insight into the operative aspects of GPON and/or GEPON, regardless if you have used one or both.

>> One, you can deliver a true 1Gbps service where more than one customer on a PON segment can actually get 1Gbps at a time, because the GPON supports 2.4Gbps of
>> total usage on the segment.
  I know this is a quote of a quote, whose origin I do not know, but I would not feel comfortable offering "a true 1Gbps service" on any PON system with less than 10G of capacity. Plain GPON/GEPON is meant to be split vigorously to achieve cost savings in the OSP and as such aren't suitable for gigabit speeds. It's more like a 100M kind of technology.

Jared