GPON vs. GEPON

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:30:30 UTC 2016

The solution for selling 1G internet with EPON could be 10GEPON. This is
still cheaper than GPON. The idea is that the ONU has a cheap standard 1G
transmitter. Apparently you can make a 10G receiver very cheap, it is the
transmitter that is expensive. So it is 10G downstream and 1G upstream.
With the option to deliver 10G upstream per ONU. It is about reusing
standard ethernet components that are dirt cheap - you can buy ethernet SFP
modules for peanuts after all and 10G SFP+ modules are not that expensive
either.

However when we asked some vendors about this, nobody wanted to sell to us
because Europe (and USA I assume) is GPON while China is GEPON. They did
offer to sell us GPON at 10GEPON pricing instead...

Something fishy is going on. It is not about EC compliance as it is just a
matter of buying a 10GEPON card instead of GPON card to the same chassis
switch. Maybe patents?

Regards,

Baldur