Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jan 4 22:17:56 UTC 2016

> On Jan 4, 2016, at 13:21 , Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 11:59:40 -0800, Owen DeLong said:
>
>> These numbers might be slightly pessimistic because 3XX series responses are
>> not counted as good.
>
> They may be a *lot* more than slightly pessimistic - consider the case of
> any site that uses 3xx replies to redirect to a geo-IP based server rather
> than doing it in DNS (which has the problem that you're redirecting based
> on the IP of the DNS server that asked, which will fail miserably for
> anybody using 8.8.8.8 as their DNS server)

I say slightly pessimistic because there aren’t all that many 3XX responses
being reported.

Further, 8.8.8.8 actually fully supports EDNS0 Client Subnet capability, so
if the geo-IP balancer in question wants, they can eliminate the failure mode
you are describing in that case.

However, in either case, I’ll happily give you a copy of the code if you want
to enhance it to detect 3XX responses that redirect to an IPv6 capable site
vs. 3XX responses that redirect to an IPv4 only site in a sort of slight of hand
designed to trick scripts like this one (yes, there are some of those out there
last time I looked).

Owen