Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jan 4 22:09:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 13:52:46 -0800, Damian Menscher said:

> While I agree with your general sentiment about 3xx responses (often used
> to redirect example.com to www.example.com) I think your concerns about
> 8.8.8.8 are over-stated.  8.8.8.8 is deployed in many locations, which
> gives DNS-based geolocation a decent chance of working.

So in how many of the 196 or so extant countries does 8.8.8.8 resolve to
a host which, when it sends a query up the chain, appears to be in the
same country as the machine that made the original query?

How does a company know that another instance of 8.8.8.8 has been turned up or
down or re-peered, causing a shift in the mapping of DNS queries to countries/
states?