Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Mon Jan 4 21:52:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:21 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 11:59:40 -0800, Owen DeLong said:
>
> > These numbers might be slightly pessimistic because 3XX series responses
> are
> > not counted as good.
>
> They may be a *lot* more than slightly pessimistic - consider the case of
> any site that uses 3xx replies to redirect to a geo-IP based server rather
> than doing it in DNS (which has the problem that you're redirecting based
> on the IP of the DNS server that asked, which will fail miserably for
> anybody using 8.8.8.8 as their DNS server)

While I agree with your general sentiment about 3xx responses (often used
to redirect example.com to www.example.com) I think your concerns about
8.8.8.8 are over-stated.  8.8.8.8 is deployed in many locations, which
gives DNS-based geolocation a decent chance of working.  And it also
supports the client subnet EDNS0 extension (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-client-subnet-06) for
more fine-grained balancing.

Damian