Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 21:20:23 UTC 2016

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 11:21:14 -0500, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
>> Just a reminder, that 10% is a global number.

And it's not "native". A great many (myself included) have IPv6 *by
choice* through various tunnels. And AT&T (Uverse) isn't "native" either
-- it's a 6rd tunnel their gateways have been programmed to setup
automatically (based on the public IPv4 address.)

> If Brighthouse has people on-list...you're embarrassingly late to this
> party...

And Earthlink ("Eye Pee Vee What?"), and TWTC (pre-L3), and TWC ("not
available on that node", and "not available through that gateway"), and
Sprint, etc. etc. etc. etc. Verizon _Wireless_, yes. Verizon FiOS, NO.
Verizon Business (f.k.a. UUNet), "maybe".

That's the issue for Fortune 500's. They ("we") care more about cost than
feature. IPv6 isn't valuable enough to justify the added expense for an
ISP that does have their act together. (which, in my experience, is "no
one".) And Amazon doesn't do IPv6, at all; so there you are.

--Ricky