Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Jan 4 16:21:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Ca By wrote:

>> Given the recent doubling growth, and assuming this trend is following a
>> logistic function, then, rounding the numbers a bit for neatness, I get:
>>
>> Jan 2016: 10%
>> Jan 2017: 20%
>> Jan 2018: 33%
>> Jan 2019: 50%
>> Jan 2020: 67%
>> Jan 2021: 80%
>> Jan 2022: 90%
>>
>> with IPv4 traffic then halving year by year from then on, and IPv4
>> switch-off (ie. traffic < 1%) around 2027.
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Just a reminder, that 10% is a global number.
>
> The number in the USA is 25% today in general, is 37% for mobile devices.
>
> Furthermore, forecasting is a dark art that frequently simply extends the
> past onto the future.  It does not account for purposeful engineering
> design like the "world IPv6 launch" or iOS updates.

Add to that the fact that as we run closer to (or further into?) run-out,
at some point there's likely to be a rapid acceleration in v6 provisioning
as networks finally realize that they can't reasonably get any more v4
space or their end-user customers finally begin to demand v6.

If Brighthouse has people on-list...you're embarrassingly late to this
party...and its time to start calling out end-user providers that still
don't even offer v6.