sFlow vs netFlow/IPFIX

Pavel Odintsov pavel.odintsov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 09:59:02 UTC 2016

Thanks for detailed question!

I have only one question. Why you against sFLOW protocol telemetry
with so huge passion ? :)

It's not proprietary technology and not an product from yet another
big company. I'm not trying to sell anything because... nothing to
sell. Really, isn't it?

It's just yet another open standard  to analyze data approved and
implemented as RFC.

If somebody developed this standard. Implemented it in ASIC (they have
very huge price for development and production you know). That's means
"somebody" really want it and will definitely use it.

Actually, sflow is not so popular as netflow. But to be honest it's
pretty young standard in compare with netflow and it implements
slightly different approach. Which will be useful in some cases.

For example, at huge Internet Exchanges you actually haven't any
netflow enabled devices (just check design architecures from AMX-IX,
DEC-IX, LINX or even MSK-IX).

Almost all IX developed with L2 in ming and they actually haven't any
devices which could produce netflow.

So IX could not use netflow even if they want. But you vote for "sflow
is weird protocol and you should avoid it".

How IX could monitor traffic if they haven't netflow? So if they
follow your recommendations they should drop idea about traffic
monitoring at all :)

I do not like holy wars about something vs something.  But actually in
modern network world every technology has applicable usage and it's
not good idea to avoid it just because your religion (I'm speaking
about netflow religion) prohibit it for you.

Actually you are writing this email from company email and I could
conclude it's Arbor vision and is not your own. Could you clarify it?
Could I use your vision as Arbor's vision in public speeches /
presentations?

Thanks!

--
Sincerely yours, Pavel Odintsov