Standard terminology for a dark fiber path?

Jon Swanson swanjonson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:32:48 UTC 2016

As Dave C pointed out, it commonly referenced as a Fiber Span.  The fiber
span would be inclusive of any splice points and/or patches needed to
provide connectivity between point A and point Z.

A Fiber Stand is a single piece of glass within the cable sheath, often
spliced to create a fiber span.

A Dark Fiber Circuit commonly refers to the service/product that was sold
by or bought from a Service Provider.  The Dark Fiber Circuits are turned
over to the customer as a fiber span between point A and point Z.

It should also be noted that the span can consist of 1 fiber or a pair of
fiber.  It is common for service providers to us "Bi-Di" optics, allowing
the use of 1 fiber for transmit and receive between their equipment.