Thank you, Comcast.

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Feb 26 15:52:55 UTC 2016

Greetings,

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Keith Medcalf wrote:

> ISP's should block nothing, to or from the customer, unless they make it
> clear *before* selling the service (and include it in the Terms and
> Conditions of Service Contract), that they are not selling an Internet
> connection but are selling a partially functional Internet connection
> (or a limited Internet Service), and specifying exactly what the
> built-in deficiencies are.
>
> Deficiencies may include:
>  port/protocol blockage toward the customer (destination blocks)
>  port/protocol blockage toward the internet (source blocks)
>  DNS diddling (filtering of responses, NXDOMAIN redirection/wildcards, etc)
>  Traffic Shaping/Policing/Congestion policies, inbound and outbound
>
> Some ISPs are good at this and provide opt-in/out methods for at least
> the first three on the list.  Others not so much.

    I wholeheartedly agree!  When purchasing an "Internet connection", we
expect that to be full access to the Internet.  Granted, *some* parts of
the Internet are up/down or never available, but the *protocols* should
*ALL* be available.

    Customers regularly use various VPN protocols from GRE, SIT, and IPIP,
monitoring protocols such as SNMP, as well as RTP and SIP (where we spend
the bulk of our time troubleshooting).  Customers EXPECT their packets to
be passed unhampered.  Otherwise, all the provider is giving them is acces
to email and to surf for porn.  That provider would simply be offering an
"entertainment" connection to the public Internet, not full Internet
access.

    However, if a 'provider' wishes to block ANYTHING, then they need to
inform the customer IN WRITING exactly what will be blocked so that
customer doesn't waste their time and money with said (limited) service
and vote with their wallet by buying *real* Internet service, elsewhere.

       --- Jay Nugent
           Nugent Telecommunications consulting
           Ypsilanti, Michigan

--

         () ascii ribbon campaign in
         /\ support of plain text e-mail

  o Averaging at least 3 days of MTBWTF!?!?!?
  o The solution for long term Internet growth is IPv6.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design              |
|   ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP Performance Monitoring       |