Thank you, Comcast.

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Feb 26 17:19:25 UTC 2016

I don't have a problem with an ISP blocking certain things by default as long as they identify them like Comcast has done especially for consumer service.  It would be nice if there was a way to opt out of the protection for the few people that need those services either through a web interface or a phone call.   They might make the case though that certain services require a business class of service.

Back in the 90s we used to block port 25 traffic for all customers unless they needed it opened because there were so many insecure mail systems out there.  Sometimes you have to protect the clueless majority at the expense of a slight inconvenience for the geeks.  So if you were smart enough to know that you need port 25 opened, we would do it.  Most people did not know that it should be blocked most of the time so we protected them.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL