Standard terminology for a dark fiber path?

Michael Loftis mloftis at
Thu Feb 25 23:27:17 UTC 2016

IDK what elsewhere uses but strand or (less common) span is the common
term I've seen specifically for a passive piece of glass between two

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Fletcher Kittredge <fkittred at> wrote:
> What is the standard terminology for strands of dark fiber spliced together
> to form a continuous path between points A and Z?
> I have seen:
>    - *fiber circuit* [but also seen used to denote a connection at the
>    network layer over a physical fiber connection. This definition of circuit
>    would include the dark fiber path, the transmitters and receivers and logic
>    making up the data and network layers.]
>    - *fiber loop *[ Does a loop define an electrical circuit with two
>    physically separate positive and negative strands? In that case, is this a
>    Bellhead remnant? ]
> I am particularly interested in last mile systems, but I don't see any
> reason that the term wouldn't be the same in the middle mile.
> thanks,
> Fletcher
> --
> Fletcher Kittredge
> 8 Pomerleau Street
> Biddeford, ME 04005-9457
> 207-602-1134


"Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors
into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler

More information about the NANOG mailing list