Softlayer / Blocking Cuba IP's ?

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Sat Feb 20 03:18:15 UTC 2016

>Cc: nanog list <nanog at nanog.org>
>Subject: Re: Softlayer / Blocking Cuba IP's ?

I had a couple of VM's (personal mail/web hosting) with a provider who used Softlayer for transit. About a month ago Softlayer (without any notice or warning) blocked all outgoing port 25 at multipole datacentres for this provider. It took the hosting provider half a day to work out what had happened. Needless to say as much as I liked the company I had to move my hosts elsewhere (they did refund me to their credit). It seems that someone at Softlayer is extremely aggressive on their blocking policies to the point of making their service unusable. I would highly recommend the community votes with its wallet when it comes to these turkeys.