Eyeball Networks and DNS (was: Re: Xfinity stale DNS)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 18 23:17:03 UTC 2016

We define a new DNS opcode FLUSH and a EDNS FLUSH option.

The recursive server send a FLUSH option with a 64 bit cookie
computed from a client secret, the server address and zone the QNAME
is being looked up in.

The answering server stores these along with arrival address provided
they arrive over TCP or with a valid EDNS Server Cookie flushing
them after X seconds or on a LRU basis if they are consuming too
many resources.  Answers to this query are also capped at X seconds.

This means there has been a 3 way handshake to get put onto the
list initially.  A server can only flush namespace it has returned
answers for.

When a flush needs to occur a FLUSH message with the namespace to
be flushed is sent to each server in the list with the EDNS FLUSH
option that was recorded using the source address address recorded
with it.  If the EDNS FLUSH option verifies (stripping labels to
get the matching domain name used to generate the cookie) then the
server flushes the namespace and generates downstream FLUSH messages
using its list of clients.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC