Cisco ASR9010 vs Juniper MX960

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 18 15:55:00 UTC 2016

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
>
> In other words, "hitless" does not mean "not service impacting".

I would assume any SMU impacts traffic and requires a reboot or a line card reset.  There are types of SMUs that touch low level parts and require a reboot, in which case I’ve often told Cisco they should just rev the release number.

Solving SMU dependencies is sometimes impossible.  Right now the 5.3.3 SMU set posted on CCO can’t be installed with any of their automation/tools.  We are waiting for Cisco to provide a fix.  I’m not holding my breath.

- Jared