Shared cabinet "security"

Otto Monnig omonnig at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 21:30:21 UTC 2016

Mistake prevention is the key.  Neatness counts.

Label everything - cubicle, equipment, cables using high quality labels that won’t fall off.  Use a meaningful labeling scheme. Label both sides of the equipment with letters large enough for everyone to read. Color coding is nice until you have dim lighting or a color-blind tech.

Separate power and data for the wired stuff.  EMI leakage is real.  Secure power cords to the equipment.  Secure cables to PDU so they don’t fall out when bumped.  Secure the cables for “wall wart” power supplies so that they do mot loosen.  Learned this the hard way after plugs vibrated or “fell” out.

If you have issues with others pugging into your power, use electrical outlet blocker plugs (baby proofing supplies) and mark them as if the outlet is broken.

Secure your data cables so that they do not block the heat exhaust of the equipment.  Use cable boots to prevent damage to cable clips, and to prevent tugging on other cables when making changes.  Don’t bend cables beyond the minimum bend radius.

You’re only as safe as the most dangerous technician that is allowed into the space.

--
Otto Monnig
CTO
omonnig at gmail.com