Change re ARIN RPKI Relying Party TAL access

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 5 18:27:57 UTC 2016

On Feb 5, 2016, at 8:44 AM, Job Snijders <job at instituut.net> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 08:15:29PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
>> One of the concerns raised at a previous NANOG was with respect to the
>> need for an RPKI relying parties to explicitly accept ARIN's relying
>> party agreement (RPA) - note that this has now been changed (per the
>> attached announcement)
>>
>> Wile the RPA terms remain the same, it is no longer necessary to
>> click-accept and provide an email in order to access ARIN's trust
>> anchor locator (TAL).
>
> Can you explain in layman terms what the legal consequences of this
> change are?

Job -

   As I noted, the Relying Party Agreement terms and conditions remain
   the same - we have simply eliminated the requirement for explicit
   agreement to it thru entry of your email and click-to-accept.  We do
   not expect there is any legal consequences for relying parties as result
   of this change [1], only a question of convenience of access to the TAL
   as sought by the community.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

[1]  The world of assenting to agreement terms is an interesting legal
      topic, and others may argue that changing from click-to-accept to
      binding by usage is material; such is the nature of legal matters.