Cable Operator List

Richard Holbo holbor at sonss.net
Fri Feb 5 04:13:58 UTC 2016

I'm in the middle of pulling some Cisco 7246VXR-UBR's (antiques) and
replacing them with the Huawei D-CMTS devices.  From what I understand of
your needs, the Huawei devices will do what you are looking for.  We are
running 8x4, but can upgrade the licenses to 24x4 if we need the bandwidth,
although at that point you will be more limited by the gig uplink.  I'm
designing them to not serve more than 250 customers per cmts and they are
running a single vlan on the cable side back to an ISC DHCP server with
very simple config files served via tftp.  This allows me to group the
CMTS's for reasonably efficient use of IP.  Have not done IP6 on these yet,
but will fairly soon.
They are actually designed to run as a ONT from the Huawei OLT (GPON), but
will also accept a standard SFP and run off ethernet (that's how I'm doing
it).  Compared to the other small CMTS's I looked at these are hard to
beat. they are Hardened and can be mounted anywhere.  The config to do what
I'm using them for is really simple (I'm a big believer in KISS).  Have had
some in service for a few months now with no issues.

I've used some 24 port VDSL switches in the past for MDU's and may actually
pull some of those and use these where there is RG6 house wiring as they
support a LOT more management than any of the smaller DSLAMS I've looked at.

In this configuration I can easily support 100mbit service on DOCSIS 3, and
my unlimited modems will speedtest all the way to 280mbs.

FWIW

/rh