Cable Operator List

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Tue Feb 2 16:08:45 UTC 2016

In-line below.

-Daniel

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the wealth of information. What kind of speeds are you offering? How many customers are you putting on one of these boxes? What modems are you using?

We’re using Arris modems because we have the least amount of signal-related issues with them.  We’ve had to drop to 64qam because portions of our network runs over the air and we run into SNR issues at 256qam on the downstream.  This is important because it basically halves our available bandwidth.  I quoted some figures below based strictly on channel width but the reality of our situation is we see about half those numbers.

We don’t cap our users.  Every modem on the network can bond all 16 channels if it’s capable and it wants to.  We’ve got one plan.  Which means they can burst as high as they want within reason.  Every month we’re in contact with the top talkers in each sector and we ask them to curb their bandwidth usage.

With this model we get about 50 to 75 users to every 16 channel CMTS we deploy.  In a 200 unit apartment building, we’d deploy 4 to 6 boxes.   On a 2000 user airbox station, we’d deploy about 20 of them.

There’s also one more consideration.  Our TV service is IPTV.  Since we’re not pumping DVB-C or DVB-S signal down the cable, we’ve got nearly a full Ghz of spectrum with which to use for DOCSIS channels.  This gives us a lot of flexibility to just add additional CMTS when we begin to run into capacity issues.

> I would honestly perfer something that was hardened for outdoor use. Think garden style apartments. What is the best for something like that?

I’m sure someone somewhere makes an environmentally hardened CMTS but I’m not currently aware of any at the moment.  Most of my equipment sits in wiring closets.

> Any reasons not to use EURO DOCSIS in the USA? Looks like it offers more speeds by using fatter channels. We don't plan on offering TV, but even if we did couldn't we just start the channels at a higher range, and still use EURO DOCSIS?

EuroDOCSIS would be a better option if you’re looking to maximize bits per hertz and have enough spectrum to play with.  You get 8Mhz channels for 6Mhz channels which means at 16 channels you’ll get 800Mbit/sec to a modem instead of 640Mbit.