DWDM on 250 Km dark fiber without re-amplification

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 19:17:37 UTC 2016

You will want to request an OTDR characterization of the dark fiber path
from its owner. If you can post OTDR "shots" with full resolution images in
a lossless image format to the list, we may be able to take a guess if the
distance is feasible without amplification inline.

For equipment choices you're looking at the usual vendors for DWDM long
haul ROADM chassis such as Ciena, Adva, Huawei, ZTE, Infinera, etc.

If you simply want to do point to point DWDM mux:demux on the 250km fiber,
your choices will be different than if you want the ability to insert a
chassis at an intermediate location and drop or insert wavelengths.

It may be possible, at a lower cost than buying 100GbE capable DWDM chassis
type systems, to do a single router-to-router linecard link with coherent
100GbE signal with FEC on the 250km path. Again this will totally depend on
the OTDR results and link budget available.