Recent NTP pool traffic increase

Harlan Stenn stenn at nwtime.org
Fri Dec 23 02:38:10 UTC 2016

On 12/22/16 5:25 PM, Royce Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at nwtime.org> wrote:
>
>> This sort of misconfiguration will happen and the NTP Pool Project
>> clearly isn't the place to solve this problem overall.  It *is*
>> something NTF is in a position to address.
>
> Harlan, could you be more specific about how NTF can address this?
> Would it require modification of the NTP protocol, or something else?

Network Time Foundation has two projects to directly help here.

One is a Certification and Compliance program.

The other is a project to analyze/produce BCP-compliant ntp.conf files.

Due to limited resources we're making slow progress on each of these.
That's the backwards way of saying we can make much more useful progress
on these and other issues (like the development of NTPv5 and the General
Timestamp API) if we can get useful support.

With more support we can also make more pool servers available.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at nwtime.org>