[Tier1 ISP]: Vulnerable to a new DDoS amplification attack

Jean | ddostest.me jean at ddostest.me
Thu Dec 22 13:27:03 UTC 2016

I apologize for my previous email.

After a second thought it might sound like it's a booter even though I
want to offer something else.

I don't want the conversation shifting toward business when we talk
about a new DDoS technique that operate at Layer 3 with amplification
power x100. I disabled the "booter" service and will review this offline
with my lawyer. Thanks for pointing this out.

Now back to this new DDoS technique. If it can amplify at Layer 3, it
could potentially be use in conjunction with the already known Layer 4
amp DDoS like dns, ntp, ssdp, snmp, etc. It doesn't need to be use in
conjunction but it could.

Like mentioned earlier, it doesn't need spoofing so any device could be
part of it.

Google already acknowledged through their vulnerability program that
there is something interesting there and they are still assessing the
risk/impact. They suggested me to start privately disclose this with
some big players. I thought NANOG would be a good start. I guess they
also need time and maybe partners to test and validate all this data.

Cert-CC is also aware and they are also working out something on their
side.

I am in good faith here and time is not against us. I discover something
new that I want to share properly and I am not here to make business.

Sincerely,
Jean St-Laurent

On 16-12-22 08:21 AM, Tom Beecher wrote:
> You're claiming to be able to generate more than 10 times as much traffic
> as the largest DDoS ever seen in the wild whilst 3 months into a position
> at a company that sells 'self-DDoS' services for testing purposes.
>
> In that absence of anything more than 'GUYZ THIS IS SERIOUS' , with no
> technical details, you can surely understand the skepticism.
>

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Jean | ddostest.me via NANOG <
> nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
>> I admit that I have a lot of guts.
>>
>> Not sure who said that I am a booter or that I operate a booter. I fight
>> booter since more than 5 years and who would be stupid enough to put his
>> full name with full address to a respected network operators list?
>> Definitely not me.
>>
>> I want to help and fix things and I am not the kind of person to break
>> things.
>>

>> Jean
>>

>> On 16-12-22 03:46 AM, j.j.santanna at utwente.nl wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jean,
>>>
>>> You are either naive or have a lot of guts to offer a Booter service in
>>> one of the most respected network operators list. Man, as long as you use
>>> amplifiers (third party services) or botnets your “service” is illegal &
>>> immoral.  In case you use your own infrastructure or rent a legal (cloud)
>>> infrastructure to provide your "service" it will not pay your costs. Not at
>>> least by the price that you offer your service: 0,  13, 100 bucks. Even if
>>> you have a legal/moral acceptable attack infrastructure, if you throw those
>>> big attacks that you advertise will possibly take down many others
>>> third-parties on the way.
>>>
>>> Sometimes you folks say that (mis)use amplifiers for “testing” purpose is
>>> not a problem because those services are open and publicly available on the
>>> Internet. Come on… if I leave my car open with the key inside it doesn’t
>>> give you the right to use my car to throw into a third party company. And
>>> if you do, it is YOUR CRIME, not mine.
>>>
>>> I don’t need to explain why using botnets is illegal and immoral, right?
>>>
>>> Man, it is up to you decide between cyber crime and cyber security (
>>> https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/public-aw
>>> areness-and-prevention-guides/cyber-crime-vs-cyber-security-
>>> what-will-you-choose). Now, we are also looking to you on