Recent NTP pool traffic increase

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Dec 18 03:25:38 UTC 2016

Yo All!

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 17:54:55 -0800
"Gary E. Miller" <gem at rellim.com> wrote:

> # tcpdump -nvvi eth0 port 123 |grep "Originator - Transmit Timestamp:"
>
> And I do indeed get odd results.  Some on my local network...

To follow up on my own post, so this can be promply laid to rest.

After some discussion at NTPsec.  It seems that chronyd takes a lot
of 'creative license' with RFC 5905 (NTPv4).  But it is not malicious,
just 'odd', and not new.

So, nothing see here, back to the hunt for the real cause of the new
NTP traffic.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588