Recent NTP pool traffic increase

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Dec 15 23:00:27 UTC 2016

I would think if a service provider failed, the stats would bear that
out. For example, if one of the top ISPs in the world was forwarding
requests, then you would likely see an increase in the number of queries
generated from IP addresses registered to that organization. A similar
effect could occur if a large ISP recently started distributing NTP
servers as part of their DHCP options when they had not previously. If
historical query data is not available, the current data could be used
to make an educated guess and follow up on the likely data trails as
currently visible.

I would also not rule out the possibility that a Netgear, DLink,
T-mobile or some other vendor or distributor of access gear pushed out a
firmware update which enabled NTP when it previously was disabled or
otherwise changed a device's NTP settings or behavior.

--Blake