SNMP syslocation field for GPS coordinates, and use with automation tools

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:50:01 UTC 2016

This is an excellent suggestion and I'll do more research into use of the
geojson format from this RFC. Looks very similar to data that can be fed
through a small perl or python script to batch output google earth KML
format files, to give people a quick and easy GUI overview of an area. My
thought on the one line format is:

{"type":"Point","coordinates":[-121.556359,39.5137752]}

It may be better to just put the raw coordinates as
"-121.556359,39.5137752" in a specific pipe delimited place in the snmp
location string on the device, and have the python script running on the
system that is batch-querying all of the devices create the geojson on its
side after retrieving the coordinates, rather than putting the geojson
format in the device itself. This will hopefully allow for enough length to
put a full human readable street address in the syslocation field along
with the gps coordinates on even the most manufacturer-hobbled of devices.

As for the lat/long vs long/lat format question, that is a tough one...
Many users who've been using google maps or google earth are accustomed to
pasting in coordinates in a format like 39.5137,-121.5563 (lat/long), but
as that URL points out a large amount of GIS software does it the other way
around. I've seen a lot of other software not listed on that page which
operates in the format lat,long for human data entry of coordinates, or
when it uses two different fields for lat and long (in a GUI or its backend
storage), always places the lat field first and long second.