SNMP syslocation field for GPS coordinates, and use with automation tools

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Dec 12 17:36:31 UTC 2016

Since we all live on standards, I can suggest RFC7946, GeoJSON
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7946) for all of your location specification
needs:

 	{
 		"type" : "Point",
 		"coordinates" : [
 			-121.556359,
 			39.5137752
 		]
 	}

or one line (55 characters, no spaces, hopefully short enough):

 	{"type":"Point","coordinates":[-121.556359,39.5137752]}

GeoJSON supports "properties" which you can define how you like:

 	{
 		"type" : "Point",
 		"coordinates" : [
 			-121.556359,
 			39.5137752
 		],
 		"properties" : {
 			"address" : "121 Gigawatts Ave, Springfield, OH 45501 US",
 			"hardware" : "Cisco 2924",
 			"elevation" : "124m"
 		}
 	}

Note that many formats now list Longitude first, Latitude second.
 	http://www.macwright.org/lonlat/

I tend to try to offer/use machine-readable formats first, then human-readable,
because I live for automation. GeoJSON benefits from being both.

Beckman