Avalanche botnet takedown

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Dec 1 20:56:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 05:34:26PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> [...] 800,000 domain names used to control it.

1. Which is why abusers are registrars' best customers and why
(some) registrars work so very hard to support and shield them.

2. As an aside, I've been doing a little research project for a
few years, focused on domains.  I've become convinced that *at least*
99% of domains belong to abusers: spammers, phishers, typosquatters,
malware distributors, domaineers, combinations of these, etc.

In the last year, I've begun thinking that 99% is a serious underestimate.
(And it most certainly is in some of the new gTLDs.)

---rsk