Handling of Abuse Complaints

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Mon Aug 29 16:47:04 UTC 2016

> On Aug 29, 2016, at 9:37 AM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster at mykolab.com> wrote:
>
> I would suggest that violation of the ISP’s ToS should also be consideration, since what may be illegal in one jurisdiction may not be illegal in some other jurisdictions.

Unless your abuse / security desk is staffed by lawyers it's probably better to avoid words like "criminal" and "unlawfully" altogether and stick to "in violation of our ToS".

> Repeated abuse and violations of an ISP’s ToS should also be a consideration to terminate a customer relationship, and ISPs are fully within their rights to take this type of action.

And don't need to lean on "it's probably illegal" to do so, nor imply that if it were legal they wouldn't necessarily enforce their ToS.

(All assuming that being abused as part of a dDoS reflector actually is against your ToS. If it's not things get more complex.)

Cheers,
  Steve