Why the internal network delays, Gmail?

Nate Metheny nate at dopedesign.com
Thu Aug 25 20:10:14 UTC 2016

Help (and hi)!

I work in higher education and we've been experiencing problems with Google
delaying or queuing email for delivery to our domain. Here's some truncated
email headers:

** Example 1:

Thu, 25 Aug 2016 08:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

<@***>; Thu, 25 Aug 2016 12:05:46 -0700 (PDT)

** Example 2:

Thu, 25 Aug 2016 06:08:51 -0700 (PDT)

<@***>; Thu, 25 Aug 2016 11:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

In both of these examples, these emails haven't even left Google's internal
network yet; I'm getting blamed for these delays, however there is no delay
in receiving these emails after they leave Google's network.
Are other people having this same problem?

I've tested delivery to my network from many outside sources and all SMTP
requests go through without delay; this issue seems be exclusive to
Google-hosted and Gmail accounts and domains.

--
Nate
​ <natemetheny at gmail.com>nate at dopedesign.com