What's the meaning of virtual POP ?

Siegel, David Dave.Siegel at level3.com
Wed Aug 24 16:59:43 UTC 2016

Different providers use the term with different definitions, but this is how we use it:

At Level 3, a VPOP is a POP that we operate under someone else's license.  For example, we have VPOPs in a number of markets throughout the Asia Pacific region, including countries like China, Vietnam, Indonesia, and others.  We are buying a service from a partner that has an operating license in that country where they provide routers, entrance facilities, colo and other related infrastructure items, but we otherwise operate it as a full POP.  It's in our OSS/BSS systems like any other location.

As far as our customers can tell, there is nothing virtual about it.  It looks like any other node on our network, so the distinction is purely internal to our company and how we have to manage support for the site.

Dave