What's the meaning of virtual POP ?

Dave Cohen craetdave at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:27:52 UTC 2016

The key is really that it could mean different things for different providers, although I would agree that the gist is that the location is enabled to look and feel like a POP without the provider installing the full complement of requisite hardware. A provider I worked at in the past, for example, defined a virtual POP as a non-POP location at which POP pricing was offered - the actual method of delivery there being both irrelevant to it being defined that way and unimportant to the concept as a whole. It let the company be price-competitive with others that may have made more extensive investments in hardware at higher-demand locations, and it was purely based on a business justification. There was no specific technical definition (although in reality we were transparent with our customers about methodology anyway) - this contrasts with other providers that are clearly using it in a way that does define a technical approach. It's just an approach specific to that provider.