Arista unqualified SFP

Tim Jackson jackson.tim at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 02:14:47 UTC 2016

On Aug 18, 2016 7:42 AM, "Nick Hilliard" <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> It is always better to clarify this sort of thing with the account
> management team before purchasing, and preferably have it in email or
> writing.

Sometimes you inherit bad situations...

The (bad) solution is to program your own optics to match Arista ones so
their switches can't tell the difference.. It's not hard, but a lot of the
time it's out of the normal reach of a lot of customers.

Flexoptix fixed that problem, but they're still priced way too high vs the
OEMs that supply to them..

It's still terribly frustrating to deal with this issue in 2016. It's a
desperate money grab from less informed customers.

Arista should really stop this bad practice. I'd urge anybody buying any
gear to make sure it can accept any optic meeting whatever MSA standard
optics that it's able to have plugged into it.

--
Tim