Email to text - vtext.com blacklisting ip

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Aug 16 21:44:06 UTC 2016

Hi,

     I have a server that monitors my network and issues text messages
if there are events of note that require human intervention. There is
some process filtering that ensures it also is not able to issue more
than 1 alert maximum per 5 minutes, to ensure it doesn't flood pagers
with messages all screaming the sky is falling when things are not going
well. Recently however, this server is no longer able to deliver
messages to vtext.com - it gets nothing but 554 errors:

telnet 69.78.67.53 25
Trying 69.78.67.53...
Connected to 69.78.67.53.
Escape character is '^]'.
554 txslspamp10.vtext.com
Connection closed by foreign host.

Granted on some days during challenging times it can send 30 or 40
messages before we get to it and get it squelched / silenced, but it's
otherwise reasonably well behaved IMHO and I don't think we are any
heavy volume sender. So I am trying to figure out why it's blacklisted
then and am rolling snake eyes.  If anyone who is an admin for verizon
or who has any insight to share I'd certainly appreciate it. Email to
text is a critical function we depend on.

Thank you.