Zayo Extortion

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 15 18:19:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
> Try more facts and less emotion.

+1

> From: "HonorFirst Name Ethics via NANOG" <nanog at nanog.org>
>  they relentlessly levied disconnect threats with short timelines
> such as: "if you don't pay us $128,000 by this Friday, we will
> shut your operation down."

Short timeline or short by the time you became aware of it? It's not
unusual in this business for POCs to fall out of date where an SP
can't communicate a problem to you, or for billing and technical POCs
at an organization to not communicate with each other.  If this is a
case of the threats finally got serious enough that the other guy
figured he should mention them to you, that doesn't really qualify as
a short timeline.

As far as raising the rent goes... that's frankly an industry-wide
problem. The SP runs 12 different contracts with you with 12 different
contract periods for interrelated services that from your perspective
are all-or-none. Your contract period on one comes to a close and when
you ask for the renewal price you get sticker-shock. It's even more
frustrating when it's all-or-none interrelated services from three or
four vendors and only one decides to raise the rent.

Live and learn and in the future do the extra legwork to make your
service contracts at any single location co-terminating.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us