DNS Services for a registrar

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Aug 12 15:33:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Ryan Finnesey <ryan at finnesey.com> wrote:
>  Does anyone see a down side to using IaaS on AWS and Azure [for DNS]?

Latency is critical for DNS. Literally everything else an application
does stalls behind completion of the DNS lookups.

Everything else being equal, virtuallized infrastructure will always
exhibit higher latency than bare metal. Always.

> We were also kicking around the idea of a PaaS offering and using Azure DNS or AWS Route 53.

I don't know their implementations well. I would hope they run the
underlying DNS servers on bare metal rather than leveraging their VM
infrastructure. I would worry that they offer all sorts of extra
features which are -single source-. If you pick Route 53 and your
customers get used to those features you may find yourself locked in
at Amazon's mercy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us