Advertising rented IPv4 prefix from a different ASN.

Andrew andrew at vianet.ca
Thu Aug 4 19:39:55 UTC 2016

Hello List,

I work for a medium sized ISP.  We are entering an agreement to rent
some IPv4 space from a local higher education institution.  Being a
multi-homed ISP we would like to advertise the rented prefix from our
ASN.  The prefix that will be advertised is a smaller subnet from the
higher educations block; they will continue to advertise the larger
prefix.

What is the best way to accomplish this?  Is there any way of doing this
without having to tunnel the traffic through the origin ASN?

I feel if we just adverse the prefix it get put on a bogon list for
prefix hijacking.  This space is rented long term but they are not
interested in reassigning the space to us.  They also want to keep
advertising their prefix as one contiguous block.

I appreciate any insight and information.
Thank you for your time,
Andrew.