Host.us DDOS attack -and- related conversations

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:40:17 UTC 2016

On 3 August 2016 at 15:16, Alain Hebert <ahebert at pubnix.net> wrote:
>     PS:
>
>         I will like to take this time to underline the lack of
> participation from a vast majority of ISPs into BCP38 and the like.  We
> need to keep educating them at every occasion we have.
>
>         For those that actually implemented some sort of tech against
> it, you are a beacon of hope in what is a ridiculous situation that has
> been happening for more than 15 years.

At the risk of starting a "NANOG war" [1], BCP isn't a magic wand.

If I find a zero day in the nasty customised kernels that OVH run on
their clients boxes, I only need 300 compromised hosts to send 300Gbps
of traffic without spoofing the IP or using amplification attacks [2].

I can rent a server with a 10Gbps connection for 1 hour for a few
quid/dollars. I could generate hundreds of Gbps of traffic for about
£1000 from legitimate IPs, paid for with stolen card details. How will
BCP save you then? Can everyone stop praising it like it was a some
magic bullet?

James.

[1] A pathetic and futile one, so different from the rest.

[2] Subsitute OVH for any half decent provider that isn't really oversubscribed.