NFV Solution Evaluation Methodology

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Aug 3 07:56:34 UTC 2016

> but, NFV isn't necessarily 'cloud'... It CAN BE taking purpose built
> appliance garbage that can't scale in a cost effective manner and
> replacing it with some software solution on 'many' commodity
> unix-like-hosts that can scale horizontally.

my main worry about nfv is when they need more forwarding horsepower
than the household appliance <tm mo> has, and the data plan is is moved
out of the control plane and they are not congruent.  we've had too many
lessons debugging this situation (datakit, atm, ...).

beyond that, i am not sure i see that much difference whether it's a
YFRV or a SuperMicro.  but i sure wish bird and quagga had solid is-is,
supported communities, ...

randy