Superfluous advertisement (was: Friday's Random Comment)

Jakob Heitz (jheitz) jheitz at cisco.com
Sat Apr 30 19:10:44 UTC 2016

A use case for a longer prefix with the same nexthop:

  / \
 D   E
 |   |
 B   C
  \ /

Suppose A is a customer of B and C.
B has a large address space: 10.1.0.0/16.
B allocates a subset to A: 10.1.1.0/24.
B advertises the longer prefix to its backup provider C.
C propagates it to E and then to F.
B MUST advertise both 10.1.0.0/16 and 10.1.1.0/24 to D.
D MUST propagate both of them to F.
Otherwise, if F only receives 10.1.0.0/16 from D, then
F will have the longer match 10.1.1.0/24 to E,
but E is only the backup route.

Thanks,
Jakob.