Arista Routing Solutions

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Sun Apr 24 12:14:40 UTC 2016

High Touch / Low Touch

Is this a measure of the amount of fiddle diddling required to get the chip to work as documented, or is it some other kind of code?

For example a "High Touch" chip needs lots of fiddle farting because it was designed by a moron and every possible thing that can be programmed incorrectly is programmed incorrectly, whereas in a "Low Touch" chip all the defaults are already set to the most useful and rational setting so that it can be used without touching it to fix all the defects?

Perhaps it is a measure of the babysitting required while the chip is running.  "High Touch" chips require constant attention, nappy changes, positive re-inforcement of the settings, etc., while operating because they are inherently unreliable and badly designed whereas "Low Touch" chips once set up just work and require little ongoing supervision unless you want to change something?

Or is it just a strange translation for functionality (as in High End / Low End)?