DOCSIS 3.1 upstream

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Wed Apr 20 22:12:14 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-20 13:09, Rob Seastrom wrote:

> Going to D3.1 in a meaningful way means migrating to either a mid-split at 85 MHz or a high split at 200 MHz

Thanks. This is what I expected. But in the past, the canadian cablecos
had argued that removing the 42mhz upstream limitation was a huge
endeavour (they have to convicne CRTC to keep wholesale rates up, so
create artificial scarcity by claiming that replacing all those 42mhz
repeaters would cost a fortune, so they have to do node splits instead.

Arguing at CRTC is all about finding out what incumbent statements are
just spin and which are true.

Thanks for the links as well.é

> RFoG is its own kettle of fish.  Getting more than one channel on upstream for RFoG is hard.

But they can allocate a single very big channel, right ?  Or did you
mean a single traditional NTSC 6mhz channel ?