Latency, TCP ACKs and upload needs

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 02:01:10 UTC 2016

One of the things to consider is that geostationary satellite operators
operate based entirely on the economics of oversubscription.

If you were to purchase a full duplex 1 Mbps x 1 Mbps connection via VSAT
terminal in North America (whether C, Ku or Ka-band) you'd be looking at
$2000/month or more. You'd have a fixed FDD pipe at 495ms latency end to
end.

32:1 oversubscription or more is normal. It costs close to $150 million to
build and launch a 5000 kilogram satellite into geostationary orbit before
you build any teleport infrastructure. The entire satellite has far less
aggregate data throughput capacity than two strands of singlemode.

Modern Ka-band satellites as used by consumer grade VSAT services in the
United States use dozens of individual spot beams. The FDD capacity in each
spot beam may be exhausted or significantly oversubscribed in one
geographical region, yet relatively unused in others. Compare, for example,
real world user reported speeds at 10pm on Exede service in western WA
state vs. somewhere in a very rural part of Wyoming.

Spot beam TDMA contention ratios are carefully managed by satellite
operators - they're very much aware of the issue you describe, and do their
best to mitigate it. Extensive massaging of TDMA parameters in spot beams
is the only way that it's economical to offer service for between $75 to
$150/month even with a 2 or 3 year contract.
There are a number of physics, OSI layer 1 and 2 issues to consider with
satellite before discussing anything TCP related.