GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

frnkblk at iname.com frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Apr 16 19:48:28 UTC 2016

Note that for E911 purposes we are required to use the MSAG (http://netorange.com/nena-reference/index.php?title=Master_Street_Address_Guide_(MSAG)) to verify street addresses.  From what my co-workers at my $DAYJOB tell me, there are many new addresses that are not resolvable.

Despite those shortcomings, E911 calls are responded to and US postal mail is delivered, specifically because a human remains involved in interpreting the information.  The same needs to be done with GeoIP results.

Frank