phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. larrysheldon at cox.net
Fri Apr 15 04:48:24 UTC 2016

On 4/14/2016 16:01, John Levine wrote:
>> OK, let us suppose I want to be a law biding, up right American and use
>> only a cellphone for the "right" area.
>>
>> I drive a big truck OTR.  I usually know what part of which state I am
>> in, but I frequently do not know which part of what state I will be in
>> in 24 hours.
>>
>> What should I do?
>
> As previous messages have explained, mobile 9-1-1 uses a variety of
> GPS and tower info to determine where you are.  Telcos, stupid though
> they may be, have figured out that people with mobile phones are
> likely to be, you know, mobile.
>
> If you drive a big truck, you're likely to spend a lot of time on
> major highways, and many of those highways have signs that tell you
> what to dial to contact the appropriate police for that road, e.g.
> *MSP on the Mass Pike.

I understand all  that.

I quoted somebody as saying that some percentage of people use a
cellphone in the wrong area code.

I want never be caught in the wrong area code  in my nomadic life.

I think my best shot is to convince people that telephone numbers are
not addresses of people and like my SSAN is assigned by somebody, I
don't care who.