GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Todd Crane todd.crane at n5tech.com
Thu Apr 14 23:43:00 UTC 2016

You do realize that this is the exact kind of thing that caused this discussion in the first place. I'm well familiar with that case. I was talking about my own experiences in the food service industry, but of course you barely read a sentence and set on a war path accusing me of not checking my facts, quite like somebody googling a geolocation for an ip and harnessing/threatening the other side.

As to the case, it had its merits, but since then it has spawned a whole bunch of people trying to get rich quick. Now every company has to put these warning labels to appease their insurance companies. Now we have people that can't think for themselves that NEED labels. It's much like the debate about trying to legislate common sense.

Todd Crane