phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Apr 14 21:01:44 UTC 2016

>OK, let us suppose I want to be a law biding, up right American and use
>only a cellphone for the "right" area.
>
>I drive a big truck OTR.  I usually know what part of which state I am
>in, but I frequently do not know which part of what state I will be in
>in 24 hours.
>
>What should I do?

As previous messages have explained, mobile 9-1-1 uses a variety of
GPS and tower info to determine where you are.  Telcos, stupid though
they may be, have figured out that people with mobile phones are
likely to be, you know, mobile.

If you drive a big truck, you're likely to spend a lot of time on
major highways, and many of those highways have signs that tell you
what to dial to contact the appropriate police for that road, e.g.
*MSP on the Mass Pike.

R's,
John