phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Thu Apr 14 20:10:21 UTC 2016

On 4/14/2016 10:45, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
>> So maybe 10% of all cell phones are primarly used in the "wrong" area?
>
> Obligatory xkcd ref:  https://xkcd.com/1129/

I am reminded of incidents many years ago when I worked in a Revenue
Accounting Office of a Bell System Operating Company.  One of my duties
involved dealing with the mostly-manually-processed toll calls
originating or terminating at a Mobile Telephone System station in our
area (whatever the word "area" turns out to mean).

We wrote off a lot of revenue on calls that involved a company (if I
remembered the name I still would not repeat it--ditto its location)
which turn out to be pretty much one man who like to sell and install
mobile radio telephone stations.  And, it turns out, not even slightly
interested in separations, bill an collecting, an other stuff that
dominates an Operating Company's attentions.

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)