phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Apr 14 00:29:39 UTC 2016

>I question whether (on a global scale) the odds are above 50-50 that a
>number (other than a test line) is served by the switch NANPA associates
>with the number.

The people on nanog are not typical.  I looked around for statistics
and didn't find much, but it looks like only a few percent of numbers
are ported each month, and it's often the same numbers being ported
repeatedly.

I'd also expect to find a lot more porting in the highly competitive
wireless industry than in the monopolistic wireline biz.

R's,
John